Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Bulletin: Travellers' Cheques


 So, I don't know if any of our esteemed readers have ever used - or plan to use - these devilish devices.

I chose to use them on this trip because I have had several problems with my Natwest card in the past and I didn't fancy carrying ridiculous amounts of cash on us. I'd never had problems with them before and saw only what they were advertised as: reassurance.

Three days ago we went out in Naples for a spot of housekeeping:

1). Posting something
2). Dropping off some washing at the laundry,
3). Cashing some travellers' cheques.

Not a single bank or exchange in the city of Naples will accept Travellers' Cheques. From information we found when trying to find a vendor, they haven't for some time.

There was one exception; the exchange at the station. They charged 15% of the total, flat rate. Oh, and a commission as well. On this deal, we stood to lose over €200 if we changed the lot.

This morning, a charming pair of Cambio (Exchange) workers helped us through the process of changing our TCs for a rate of 2% commission plus €9 processing fee. I will be ever grateful to them and I don't think I will ever use Travellers' Cheques again.

I'm not saying boycott AmEx entirely, (although I've not seen many of their badges out here...) but talk to your bank and use credit/debit cards or cash. Also, don't trust the online AmEx TC Locator map - if a bank wants to turn you away, they will.

Seriously. Firenze has been a tonic today. It really has.

Next stop for the blog, however: Napoli/Naples!

No comments:

Post a Comment